Monday, December 14, 2009

December 14, David

Day 15, December 14
Persons: David
Theme/Event: A Shepherd for the People
Symbol: Harp
1 Samuel 16:1-23, 17:1-58, 2 Samuel 5:1-5, 7:1-17


The first king that Samuel anointed was Saul. But, Saul disobeyed God and God told Samuel to anoint a new king. God told Samuel to anoint a boy named David, who was a shepherd. David had to wait many years between the time that he was anointed king and the time that he actually became king. But, David was a man who loved God and He did not disobey God’s laws to become king before God’s time. He trusted God and waited on Him. He knew that God was taking care of him the way that David used to take care of his father’s sheep.

Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever.

David wrote many of the Psalms and songs of praise to God that we have in the Old Testament. God used David’s years of waiting to prepare David’s character and to bring glory to God through David’s writings. God fulfilled His plan and David became a great king over Israel. David pointed to Jesus by being a king that glorified God and worshipped Him.

There is another way that David pointed to Jesus. Jesus described Himself as the ‘good shepherd’ who would ‘give His life for the sheep’ (John 10:11). Jesus is our King, but He is a King who loves us and cares for us so much that He gave up His life for us. What a wonderful King!

Questions:
What did David do before He became king?
Did David wait for God’s timing to become king?
What things do you have to wait for?
Prayer: Dear God, help us to always wait for Your timing. Thank you for being our shepherd and taking such good care of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment